New Orleans, 2005, After. Episode XI: Dysfunctional Fun
New Orleans, 2005, After. Episode XI: Dysfunctional Fun
Celebrate. It's an art, a daily occurrence, an occasion, a life's work. We found cause for celebration in the least and the greatest of things. The passage of time, the passage of friends - intertwined threads of life.
We'll move backward in time from the Explosion. The stockpiles of ice had not all melted; a cold beer was still to be found. And though our reality was wavering, it hadn't yet gone into a fugue state. At least for most of us.
Walking down Esplanade near the River I heard my name called out. Sitting on the porch of a pleasant double was an old friend. There were also neighbors, casually cross-legged, sipping beers from bottles sweaty in the afternoon heat. Beers that surely looked cold and comforting. "Come join us, have a drink!" And so began my last somewhat normal New Orleans afternoon. If by normal I mean disassociated from the rest of the United States and skimming the surface of denial.
We were an attorney, a socialite, a party-planner and your faithful, tireless chronicler. We hadn't heard about the massive flooding, hadn't seen CNN or spoken to State or Federal workers. But rumors were running, craziness encroaching.
James was voicing concerns, "I'm really worried".
"As are we all, child, as are we all," offered Sheila.
"I've got a big wedding this weekend Uptown and I'm worried about the flowers."
"Ah, yes," egads, let me take a long swig before he sees my face, "the flowers."
"If we don't get the electric back they're just not going to last."
"Oof, no, no, you're quite right," was all I could think to say.
"But honey, don't you think they'll call the wedding off?"
"Call it off? We've been planning this thing for 6 months."
"But they've probably left town."
"No, not on their wedding weekend. How could they do that?"
"Well, puppy, it's something to consider. Have you talked to them, then?"
"How could I? No phones, no coolers, no deliveries - I'll be a nervous wreck."
"Baby boy, have another drink."
To be continued . . .
Celebrate. It's an art, a daily occurrence, an occasion, a life's work. We found cause for celebration in the least and the greatest of things. The passage of time, the passage of friends - intertwined threads of life.
We'll move backward in time from the Explosion. The stockpiles of ice had not all melted; a cold beer was still to be found. And though our reality was wavering, it hadn't yet gone into a fugue state. At least for most of us.
Walking down Esplanade near the River I heard my name called out. Sitting on the porch of a pleasant double was an old friend. There were also neighbors, casually cross-legged, sipping beers from bottles sweaty in the afternoon heat. Beers that surely looked cold and comforting. "Come join us, have a drink!" And so began my last somewhat normal New Orleans afternoon. If by normal I mean disassociated from the rest of the United States and skimming the surface of denial.
We were an attorney, a socialite, a party-planner and your faithful, tireless chronicler. We hadn't heard about the massive flooding, hadn't seen CNN or spoken to State or Federal workers. But rumors were running, craziness encroaching.
James was voicing concerns, "I'm really worried".
"As are we all, child, as are we all," offered Sheila.
"I've got a big wedding this weekend Uptown and I'm worried about the flowers."
"Ah, yes," egads, let me take a long swig before he sees my face, "the flowers."
"If we don't get the electric back they're just not going to last."
"Oof, no, no, you're quite right," was all I could think to say.
"But honey, don't you think they'll call the wedding off?"
"Call it off? We've been planning this thing for 6 months."
"But they've probably left town."
"No, not on their wedding weekend. How could they do that?"
"Well, puppy, it's something to consider. Have you talked to them, then?"
"How could I? No phones, no coolers, no deliveries - I'll be a nervous wreck."
"Baby boy, have another drink."
To be continued . . .

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home