New Orleans, August/September 2005, After. Episode IX: Makin' Groceries
New Orleans, August/September 2005, After. Episode IX: Makin' Groceries
New Orleans is a world unto itself. Insular, creative, dynamic yet static. The old ways not only remain, but are as solidified as the oak trees, the banquettes or jasmine. We don't just shop for groceries but we 'make groceries'. A mindset that's bewildering to foreigners - all those unfortunate enough to have been born outside of the Parish.
And so one afternoon I noticed a good many people bicycling, walking, pushing or pulling groceries. Mystified, and faced with various shortages myself, I stopped one to ask the source of these unforeseen provisions. Simple, I was told, the big new grocery next to the Municipal Auditorium had opened its doors in an act of generosity to the city. All within was free for the taking. A boon indeed, was it not?
And well worth checking out. So I hopped on my faithful and trusty bike and headed off on an exploratory mission. I thoughtfully brought along bags - just in case. Edging around a police station, gliding very slowly through standing water, I made it to the high ground surrounding this newest supermarket. Boats were pulled alongside the downtown side and many, many shoppers were moving quickly with bags full to bursting. All the doors to the store were open, the aisles a riot of cans and boxes, mud and liquids. I was assured by all that the management had decided the contents of the store were a loss and that the contents were a donation.
One enterprising gentleman was actually attempting to pull an entire shelf of goods with his bike, caught in the partly blocked doorway, the shelf tottering precariously. So I cautiously entered the fray to peruse the delicacies that remained. Luckily for me, many shoppers seemed unaware that microwavable products actually needed a working microwave, mixable products needed water and frozen items an oven. The shelf of chunky soups, stews and prepared meals was largely intact. Not only was I offered a bountiful selection, I was also tempted by another section of the store altogether. The bookshelves.
Hmm, entertainment venues were certain to be few for some time to come so I considered the book section a lending library and borrowed mysteries and thrillers to ease the days to come. Only one other library lover joined me and we exchanged sly and wise repartee. It was a new day, indeed.
To be continued . . .
New Orleans is a world unto itself. Insular, creative, dynamic yet static. The old ways not only remain, but are as solidified as the oak trees, the banquettes or jasmine. We don't just shop for groceries but we 'make groceries'. A mindset that's bewildering to foreigners - all those unfortunate enough to have been born outside of the Parish.
And so one afternoon I noticed a good many people bicycling, walking, pushing or pulling groceries. Mystified, and faced with various shortages myself, I stopped one to ask the source of these unforeseen provisions. Simple, I was told, the big new grocery next to the Municipal Auditorium had opened its doors in an act of generosity to the city. All within was free for the taking. A boon indeed, was it not?
And well worth checking out. So I hopped on my faithful and trusty bike and headed off on an exploratory mission. I thoughtfully brought along bags - just in case. Edging around a police station, gliding very slowly through standing water, I made it to the high ground surrounding this newest supermarket. Boats were pulled alongside the downtown side and many, many shoppers were moving quickly with bags full to bursting. All the doors to the store were open, the aisles a riot of cans and boxes, mud and liquids. I was assured by all that the management had decided the contents of the store were a loss and that the contents were a donation.
One enterprising gentleman was actually attempting to pull an entire shelf of goods with his bike, caught in the partly blocked doorway, the shelf tottering precariously. So I cautiously entered the fray to peruse the delicacies that remained. Luckily for me, many shoppers seemed unaware that microwavable products actually needed a working microwave, mixable products needed water and frozen items an oven. The shelf of chunky soups, stews and prepared meals was largely intact. Not only was I offered a bountiful selection, I was also tempted by another section of the store altogether. The bookshelves.
Hmm, entertainment venues were certain to be few for some time to come so I considered the book section a lending library and borrowed mysteries and thrillers to ease the days to come. Only one other library lover joined me and we exchanged sly and wise repartee. It was a new day, indeed.
To be continued . . .

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home